A Makeup Artist's Review of Benefit's They're Real Mascara

 


lthough I love makeup and have plenty of eye, lip, and cheek products, I truly am a lipstick and lashes type of girl. Pairing bold, flirty lashes with a strong lip colour is my favorite way to present myself to the world. Seeing that big lashes are a must with this type of look, I’ve tested out plenty of mascaras in search of the perfect product to give me the look I’m after.

Giving my current favorite mascara a break, I decided to take Benefit Cosmetics' They’re Real Mascara for a spin. I was curious to see if it lived up to the hype and was truly deserving of being one of the brand’s most popular products. As a bonafide mascara person, I put this product to the test to determine if it lived up to my (very) high expectations.


Pros

Incredible length

Design of mascara wand allows for laser-sharp definition 

Mascara gives lashes an enormous amount of volume

Cons

The wand may be too big for shorter lashes

Mascara formula on the clumpier side (but this helps build length)

The product can flake slightly


The Bottom Line

Benefit’s They’re Real Mascara is a product that gave my lashes great volume, definition, and length. If you’re looking for a mascara that will make your lashes look like you’re wearing falsies, this is it.


About My Lashes: Medium length, strong curl

My lashes are decently thick average length, and hold a curl. I typically prefer mascaras that define and volumize my lashes more than lengthening formulas (a years-long favorite of mine has been MAC Extended Play Giga black Mascara, $21). Regardless of what mascara I’m using, I finish my makeup off with several coats of mascara on my top and bottom lashes. The more coats I can get on my lashes without too much clumping, the better.


How to Apply: Comb through and coat each lash

Using the applicator, I brushed the mascara onto my lashes, making sure to brush product on each lash individually. I tend to jump back and forth between each eye, applying one coat of mascara before moving on to my other eye, and then back again. I find that this helps the mascara adhere to my lashes, as well as stick to the second layer of product I apply.


The Results: The length is unreal

For length, this mascara is incredible. Like I mentioned earlier, I’ve tried several mascaras that claim to lengthen eyelashes, but the length is often accompanied by clumps. I’m not soft with my mascara, either; I push the boundaries and try to use as many coats as I can before my eyelashes fuse together and look like spider lashes. What stood out most to me is the fact that my lashes were full, dramatic, and remained defined with each coat of mascara I applied. They’re Real gave me so much volume, length, and definition with its creamy texture and jet black color. As you can see, after three coats it looks like I'm wearing a set of falsies, but just like the product suggests, they're real.

Read more

You Might Also Like

0 comments